Adriana Peci (Design Director at Hatch Interiors) gives us the run down on how to choose the right size rug for every space!
Rugs help to enhance the aesthetic of a space, add warmth and actually help reduce noise in the home.
Rugs are one of the most important items to purchase for a room, but size is often the hardest choice for my clients.
What size is too big? Too small? How do you position under furniture?
Remember, your rug is the anchor and foundation to the space – so proportion is key!
I have compiled all the details for picking the perfect sized rug for your room:
- Your rug should be minimum 50cm wider than your dining table on each side, to allow for a chair to be pulled out and not fall off the rug.
- In the case of a rug, size DOES matter! Rugs can never be too big (unless it’s bigger than the room - then that’s a problem) so go larger!
- Your rug should be about the size of your living room’s seating area to ground the conversation space.
- In your bedroom, a rug adds warmth and comfort. A rug should not extend to your bedside table and leave at least 50cm at the foot of the bed.
- Hallways tend to be simply decorated spaces. Runner rugs come in many lengths and sizes – a good rule of thumb is that your runner covers at least 75% of the length of the Hallway.
Before you buy your next rug, to visualize how a rug will look in your space, use masking tape to create a border on the floor; I do this with all my clients!
For more rug size advice send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org - and feel free to include a photo of your space!